Friday 26 July 2013

The Power of OUYA!!



It's strange.... it's actually a bit like the Nintendo story.  A company comes along to try something fresh; something new that is risky which potentially could provide us consumers something a little more than the average. Yet critics, consumers (who actually don't own the product at the time) seem to do nothing but look at the bad side or concentrate on the negativity.
The
Original
The Ouya is a power house in the sense of the say so and input players, consumers and anyone in-between have on how the games evolve on the system or which games come out!
Does anyone here recall a game named Liero? (After searching the web, an actual newer version than the one I used to play is out and very popular).

Liero as I remember it, is a video game originally created for MS-DOS which was released in 1998, it was basically a real-time version of worms. Using a choice of five weapons from a total of 40 in a two-dimensional map. Most of the terrain, except for indestructible rocks, may be dug or destroyed by explosions. In addition to the weaponry, each player has a ninja rope which can be used to move faster through the map. This grappling hook-like device substitutes for jetpacks and can even latch onto the enemy worm to drag him closer to his foe (which is actually hilarious)
You and a friend could do 2-player on the same PC (keyboard) which led to many hours of great fun, memories of me and my older brother playing till early hours of the morning and using black op skills to install it on the College systems for playing through lectures…….

Serisouly, this is not me and my brother. I jut thought 2 guys playing Liero with hay stack and pony tails rockeed!

Now I can easily download the new open source PC version and relive my memories but I want one better! I thought this would be a kick arse game on the Ouya, possibly with the addition of 4-player mode and using controllers for some Couch Gaming mayhem! So what did I do?
With no artistic skills, no programming skills (apart from very basic, basic variables) and no other dreamful developer skills, I did the one thing a non-talented gaming geek could do………………….  I hit the Ouya Forums!
You see anyone can visit the forums (here) and discuss games they would love on the Ouya or if you played an Ouya game and want a feature or fix you can post and most of the time the developers will respond!  If they like the idea there is a possibility for it to be added (take Amazing Frog for example, many suggestions are now making their way in the game!).
So I did my post enquiring about the game and without realising an individual named Kevin Dekkers stated it was open source and he could and would get it going on the Ouya, NOW that’s what you call customer satisfaction!
It’s turning out to be more work than originally anticipated, albeit he is still pushing forward!
If you know of Liero and want to help out the original post can be found HERE

What open source games would you love to see on Ouya or just re-made?  Post comments below!

3 comments: