Monday 29 July 2013

Nintendo do it wrong? Or did they?

Oh the Humanity!
With the recent announcement from retail giant Asda (Britain’s second largest grocer) that it will no longer be stocking Wii U consoles across its 555 retail outlets, it let me to jump in the Blogging world and do another post (debate?).

Where did Nintendo go wrong, if they have gone wrong??!?!?
There have been many articles and forum debates about Nintendo going wrong, from the recycling of the name Wii (confusing consumers?) to the power of the system.

The Wii U launched November 2012, this was awhile before the Xbox One or PS4 were official announced or any kind of system spec released. Casual gamers this day and age understand the power behind their machines, they know what CPU clock speeds are, ram speeds and amount, what a graphic card does etc. I genuinely feel with Nintendo launching their console, before MS & Sony released any kind of details of theirs, Nintendo had the opportunity to boast about the power and spec (compared to current-gen) and lore people in that it’s a beef of a system that will take graphics further (people would have been none the wiser until MS & Sony announced their specs).
The TV commercials left confusion among people too, it basically showed a pair of hands playing with this black brick with a screen on it…”Oh it’s an add-on for the Wii”, no wait.. “It’s a touch screen device that works on the TV…” no wait….. 


Wait.. Jazz Hands!

 Additionally, perhaps it was just me being half stupid or half a sleep but I never even realised Nintendo had a new console coming or what the Wii U was until about 3 months before it’s release! I randomly saw an article on IGN.com and thought “huh…” and I try keep with the latest news. (Either Nintendo slacked to promote this thing or I was just useless!).
To prove I’m not flaming Nintendo or attempting to provoke everyone against Nintendo, I will just say now - I love Nintendo, Period. 
I love what they do, I love what they desire to do and as a company to try new things rather than just whack up the shader quality and pixel count on games (boring!) I mean most of you will shout “MORON!” if I told you what I had to do to get my Wii U, (to prove how devoted to Nintendo I am see small print below!)
(I had to sell my love and soul of vintage computers, Amiga 600 with 20+ boxed mint games, Xbox 360 slim with 5 games, Sega Saturn with deep fear, shinning force 3+ many more & Dreamcast collection!!!!!)

Now with the Xbox One & PS4 coming out, Nintendo have lost the opportunity to sell the system as a hungry house of power to get people excited, now it’s back to what they do best.  The Games, making brilliant, fun games that you never want to trade in because you will always pop them on for an influx of Nintendo love!
Flipping the coin on the other side, when it comes to multi-platform games which system do you buy it for?  i.e. I’ll be getting a PS4 but Watch Dog’s for me is a must have on the Wii U for it’s playability with the Wii U Pad……. Is that a big enough selling point though?

Will things pick up?  I sure hope so and I believe they will with the up coming games (Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong, Mario, Zelda Wind Waker etc). Nintendo are no more part of this ‘Next-Gen’ war, they are unique and should be categorised as an individual… as I know from my gaming perspective that owning a PS4 & Xbox one seems odd…..but owning one of the later & a Nintendo Wii U makes sense, because it’s different in it’s entirety.

Where else did Nintendo go wrong? Or did they go wrong at all? Comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment